VIC Car Stolen and sold by ex

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Diswigga

16 August 2023
I had my car, motorcycle and motorhome at My ex girlfriends house and herself and her new boyfriend sold my car and motorcycle to a drug dealer up the road. The motor home was left abandoned in another place, they also broke into my storage locker at storage king and stole tools and electronics. After so much hassle I was able to report the car and bike to police on the phone and they are now on the ppsr. I have told police where the car and motorcycle are but they aren't doing anything about it. The car and bike are both unregistered, I have given police a receipt of sale from when I brought the car. My ex and I had been separated for about 12 months and I never lived with her at the property. Is this criminal law or is it civil law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is this criminal law or is it civil law?
Both.

Police can take action, and probably should. And you can take civil action for the return of property or damages.

Diswigga

16 August 2023
And what if police aren't doing anything about it, they said it's civil because I was in a relationship with her but that ended a year ago and her new boyfriend is involved

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Put your statement in writing and address it to the officer in charge of the station.

In your letter you can say you have a right to the vehicles, and if you have want them to accompany you as you repossess the car.