NT Car on contract return

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Frances Ivinson

24 July 2017
hi

I have recently separated from my partner of 14 months and I have a car loan contract of which I am the only person on the loan.

My ex has my car and refuses to return it, what are my options ??

Kind Regards

Frances Ivinson

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends. Who pays insurance? Who is the registered owner of the car? Whose name is on the purchase contract?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Then you'd have ownership unless your ex can prove the car is a gift.

Do you have a spare key? Not every situation requires a visit to court.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Hmm, makes it harder. Maybe take your purchase papers to a police station and ask them to accompany you while you recover the key and car from your ex. Police may refuse saying it is a civil matter, meaning you may need to go to court.

Messy situation. You could tell your ex if it goes to court you'll be applying for a costs order against him if he doesn't return the car. If he refuses to co-operate your next step is to send him a demand letter by registered post so you have a written record of your attempt to get the car back before going to court.

Frances Ivinson

24 July 2017
Hmm, makes it harder. Maybe take your purchase papers to a police station and ask them to accompany you while you recover the key and car from your ex. Police may refuse saying it is a civil matter, meaning you may need to go to court.

Messy situation. You could tell your ex if it goes to court you'll be applying for a costs order against him if he doesn't return the car. If he refuses to co-operate your next step is to send him a demand letter by registered post so you have a written record of your attempt to get the car back before going to court.
Thank you for the great advice