WA Working Holiday Visa - Must I Work for the Same Company?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeff123

3 October 2014
Hello,
I am on my second year working holiday visa in Australia. I know that I'm only allowed to work 6 month for the same company. But when exactly does it ends? I started on the 15 of January. Does it end in the 15 of July or the 15 of August?

And another questions is: I have got in July one month off and in this time I will go back to my home country. Can I hang this one month off later on to work one month longer because I didn't work this month? Or is it about that you are 6 month registered on the same company?

Thanks a lot.

22 April 2015
Hello Jeff,

The 6 month work limitation finishes 6 calendar months after your commencement date. If you commenced 15 January that would be 15 July. The limitation runs for 6 calendar months and policy states that time off during this period does not allow you to work longer for the employer. If possible you may wish to take any time off between roles.

Regards

Reactions: Mitchell Kelly

Jeff123

3 October 2014
Hello Jeff,

The 6 month work limitation finishes 6 calendar months after your commencement date. If you commenced 15 January that would be 15 July. The limitation runs for 6 calendar months and policy states that time off during this period does not allow you to work longer for the employer. If possible you may wish to take any time off between roles.

Regards
And how they find out if I would work one month longer or what are the consequences?

If I work for someone else could I go after back to his company?

Thank you for your quick answer

22 April 2015
Immigration may become aware that you have breached the conditions through (a) site inspections or audits (b) taxation records or (c) other means such as dob-ins.

Consequences of breach could include cancellation of your visa resulting in bans from grant of further visas for up to 3 years or the refusal of future visas on the basis of a breach of conditions.

I am not certain I understand your third question however you may only work for a maximum of 6 months for any employer during the course of your Working Holiday visa. If you obtain a second Working Holiday visa you would be entitled to work for the same employers you worked with during the course of your first Working Holiday visa.

Regards,

Reactions: Mitchell Kelly

Melinda Jackson

14 February 2015
Hi Jeff,

Just to clarify, the 6 months of work is calendar months but the period may not necessarily be continuous. If you took a break to travel or work elsewhere, and there is no ongoing employment relationship (you are a casual worker without specific period of paid or unpaid leave) then the 6 months may be broken up over two or more periods of time.

Hope this helps.

scattley

10 May 2015
If you are getting holiday pay when you are away then that time will count. When the company sends your tax amount each week/fortnight to the ATO they will be flagged when it is more than 6 months of payments.

Jeff123

3 October 2014
If you are getting holiday pay when you are away then that time will count. When the company sends your tax amount each week/fortnight to the ATO they will be flagged when it is more than 6 months of payments.
So it doesn't matter if the period of time is more then 6 month aslong I only worked 6 month and not longer for the same person?

Why I'm asking I got my tax return back and my period of time from the first payment to the last is 8 month.
But all up I only worked not even 6 month for the same person. I had heaps of breaks between.
So I won't get in trouble when I send my tax return in?