WA Workcover - Given an Infringement for Information Given?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
20 June 2017
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. It has me quite worried and I think what they are doing may be illegal. So I run a small business and have a few employees, mostly part time. I changed my address and my workers compensation expired for 4 months until I got a new policy.

Out of the blue, I get this official looking letter saying I need to give them info or I would be penalised for not cooperating. The letter makes it sound like if I fill out the form nothing else would happen.

Page 1

It asked for worker's names and wages paid between certain dates. The form was pre-signed by someone, I have no idea why there's a signature on a blank form. Anyway. I felt pretty intimidated and wanted it all to go away so I filled it out and signed off saying it was true and sent it back.

Not long after I get an infringement notice from them for $400 times each worker I put on the form. The fine says to pay in 1 month or I'll get a higher penalty in court.

I really don't think this is fair. I gave private, confidential information honestly and voluntarily. I had no idea I would be tying my own noose. Doesn't this go against my civil rights? Are they allowed use this information against me? Are they allowed to intimidate me like this and pretend to offer me better consideration if I cooperate? I didn't even get to say my side of the story.

Is this normal for a government organization? I feel like it's just a fast track way to raise revenue. Am I right to be concerned? Who can I write to? Is there a body that oversees other government organizations?

I know it's a lot of questions, I'm truly grateful for any help. There's no way I can come up with thousands of dollars in 1 month so it looks like I'll be going to court anyway.

Thanks heaps,

Reactions: Timnuts

AllForHer

23 July 2014
To me, that letter says "We can do this the hard way, or the easy way". It certainly doesn't suggest you will avoid penalty for wrongdoing just by telling them about your wrongdoing.

Pay the fine.

Homer jay

14 September 2016
Ring them to make sure it's not a scam and if it's not a scam pay the fine and move on