Woolworths product has ruined my carpet, can I be compensated?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chanelle

21 April 2017
I have just come home an hour ago from doing my weekly shopping at Woolworths.

When I got home I did my usual routine of placing the bags on the bench. As soon as I placed the bag on the bench the 2 litre milk container split open (almost completely right around, through the middle) and 90% of it exploded onto my fresh carpet which I have just installed a few months ago.

I immediately took a photo of the milk DRENCHING my carpet, and the split milk container. I then began scrubbing my carpet but I think it is quite ruined.

As I mentioned, I did take a photo of my carpet drenched with milk, I have also taken a photo of the broken container, and I also have the receipt.

I am not one to usually complain but I definitely feel that this was their fault as there either had to be a weakness in the bottle OR they are simply not strong enough. I just really don't want to have to pay to replace my carpet after just forking out quite a lot for it a few months back.

Do I have any legal rights to claim compensation to help replace my carpet for this room?

Lance

31 October 2015
Chanelle,
I won't dare use the old idiom no use crying over.......... The thing you would need to do is prove that it was from product container failure. There argument would likely be that it had travelled from the supplier with no failure but managed to break at your house, maybe it was caused by how you loaded it or carried it. So while you might have grounds to claim damages its not so easily proven. The other point being that for a lot of products Woolworths is the distributor not the manufacturer (unless its a Woolworths brand product) so it the issue with Woolworths the milk company. No real answers here but a few things to consider. I personally don't think it is something that is worth pursuing. It would probably be cheaper to have the carpet professionally cleaned. It might be worth a phone call to Consumer affairs / fair trading depending on which state / territory you are in.

Reactions: Chanelle

Chanelle

21 April 2017
Thank you! Definitely things to consider, thanks. Luckily the milk is their brand so I will see what I can do. I have scrubbed my carpet so many times and I am becoming tortured by the stench of milk!

MummaBear

22 April 2017
Victoria
My washing machine flood not long ago. I called a local carpet cleaning company & someone came out the next morning & just sucked up the excess water. He charged me a small cost. I left the doors open & it was completely dry shortly after with no smell/odour whatsoever. Then get the whole area cleaned again a few days later. Keep the receipts & bill Woolworths & sent the photos as proof.
Note***Carpet/Rug Spills
With any spills in future, sponge up as much of the spill as you can. Then spray white warm vinegar onto the spill from a spray bottle (covering spill completely) & then sprinkle baking powder over the spill. When the powder is dry, vacuum it up. If there's still traces of the spill, repeat this process. It works great for almost all spills & old stains. Good luck Chanelle.