QLD Wills & estates of

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maddz1

25 February 2021
Can an executor also being a beneficiary refuse to inform another beneficiary in a will a copy of the will as well as threaten to give their share of the inheritance away to a charity? Can they ask for personal bank details without informing why & than threaten to give other beneficiaries share away?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
No.

Maddz1

25 February 2021
How can I obtain a copy of my deceased fathers will which executor has only copy of to safeguard my inheritance for my children as I have terminal heart disease & limited finances please?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Section 33Z of the Queensland Succession Act requires "A person who has possession or control of a will of a deceased testator must, if asked, do either or both of the following— (a) allow an entitled person to inspect the will; (b) give an entitled person a certified copy of the will on payment of the person’s reasonable expenses of giving the certified copy."

The section also prescribes who is an entitled person, which includes " a spouse, parent or issue of the testator" and "a person who would be entitled to a share of the estate of the testator if the testator had died intestate". A child could fit either of those.

Here's a link to the section if needed: SUCCESSION ACT 1981 - SECT 33Z Persons entitled to inspect a will or to obtain a copy of a will

If the executor refuses, you would likely have to make an application to the Supreme Court for an order that they comply.