NSW Wills and Estate Planning - How to Go About It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lynne

8 September 2014
Hi,
My three sisters and I are both executors and beneficiaries of my mother's estate.
My mother passed away in 2011 and probate was granted in April 2012.

The family home was sold in 2013 and the property investment was finally sold and settled three months ago.The whole process has caused a lot of friction and infighting amongst us all, so much so, that two of us are now estranged from the other two.

All matters in relation to the finalisation of the estate have been settled except for a small sum of money sitting in the estate account.I have asked my sister on many occasions (she holds the cheque book and it is four to sign) to distribute the remaining funds so that the estate can be finalised and all tax and legal obligations can be met.

As she refuse to do this and I am now estranged from her, how do I go about getting this done?
Thank you.

S

Sophea

Hi Lynne,

You can ask the court to remove your sister from being a co-executor but at this late stage of the matter that would appear to be overkill. Is there a specific reason why she is not distributing?

Reactions: Tim W

Lynne

8 September 2014
Hi Sophea
Because she can!!-my sister has been difficult to deal with throughout this entire ordeal.Myself and my older sister are now both estranged from her and dont want anything to do with her, however this does need to be dealt with.