QLD Will Theft Affect My 457 Visa Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tom22

29 July 2016
I was charged for stealing in a store. I got a fine with no conviction recorded. Will the theft affect my 457 visa application? Please, I would like to know and the steps to take.

Thank you

Tom22

29 July 2016
I was charged for stealing in a store. I got a fine with no conviction recorded. Will the theft affect my 457 visa application? Please, I would like to know and the steps to take.

Thank you
Please, can someone help me out with my questions?

Thanks

14 August 2016
As you said, there is no conviction which means it probably won't show up in the Police Check. The Police Check or Clearance is a requirement to determine good character.

Here is the link from the Department of Immigration and Border Security

Character and police certificate requirements

Note the first paragraph

"How character is assessed
You will not pass the character test if:

• you have a substantial criminal record, meaning you have been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison, or multiple sentences that add up to more than 12 months in prison. A suspended sentence is considered a prison sentence."

Tom22

29 July 2016
As you said, there is no conviction which means it probably won't show up in the Police Check. The Police Check or Clearance is a requirement to determine good character.

Here is the link from the Department of Immigration and Border Security

Character and police certificate requirements

Note the first paragraph

"How character is assessed
You will not pass the character test if:

• you have a substantial criminal record, meaning you have been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison, or multiple sentences that add up to more than 12 months in prison. A suspended sentence is considered a prison sentence."
Thank you, I really appreciate your answer.