WA Will - Taxes and Levis Included in Inheritance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

The Engineer

17 March 2017
I liive in the UK. I have recently helped my aging father, who lives in West Australia, to write and register a will. In that will, he provides a sum of money to each of my three daughters, and leaves his house, land and a small sum of money to me. I am also executor of will. I am his sole surviving direct relative, my mother having passed a couple of years ago.

Inevitably, time will mean that the will is exercised. I don't know, and despite extensive Googling I haven't been able to find a clear statement of, the taxes, levies, and charges that will be made by the government.

This is complicated by the fact that all who inherit live outside WA, in the UK.

I'm not even sure of the info I should post here to allow anyone to advise, so if more info is needed, let me know and I will provide it. I would like to know this information so that planning can be done before the event to minimise charges...under instruction from my father who reckons he has already paid enough tax!

Thanks for any help.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The thing you want to avoid, at pretty much all costs,
is an intestacy or partial intestacy in Western Australia.
DIY wills are a recipe for confusion and pain at an already difficult time.

The simplest thing to do, and the one that will bring him the most peace, and you the most certainty,
is for your father to engage an Australian lawyer in Western Australia.

You can arrange to pay any fees from the UK, no problem.
He may care to use this link to find a suitable lawyer.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hi

Assuming the will is in order, when the time comes you would be advised to appoint a solicitor to handle the things that are difficult to do from OS.

There are no estate or death taxes in Australia. The estate may need to do a final tax return.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi
Assuming the will is in order,
With DIY wills, this a particularly high risk assumption.
when the time comes you would be advised to appoint a solicitor to handle the things that are difficult to do from OS.
Once the horse has bolted?
That is not always and automatically a wise choice.
I most strongly suggest getting a lawyer in at the start, and get it set up properly.
There are no estate or death taxes in Australia. The estate may need to do a final tax return.
Yes. And numerous other things.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hopefully the OP will clarify whether it was a DIY will of not?