NSW Will Shoplifting Infringement Affect Working with Children Check and Records?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helpme1234

25 January 2017
I received a Criminal Infringment notice($300) for shoplifting. What does this mean for me?

I'm studying to be a teacher and was wondering what this does for my career? Will it show up on my records and working with children checks?

dani.t.

16 November 2016
I received a Criminal Infringment notice($300) for shoplifting. What does this mean for me?s

I'm studying to be a teacher and was wondering what this does for my career? Will it show up on my records and working with children checks?

Hey,

If you got a conviction it will definitely show, and I think that any charge will also show up. Depending on the situation, you may be able to appeal if you are knocked back for a Blue Card (or whatever it is called there).

I successfully appealed and got my Yellow Card (working with disabled) by explaining that my drugs convictions were nearly 10 years old and my life had changed, but maybe stealing is different. I don't know for sure, but its definitely worth trying.

You will be given an opportunity to explain what happened and why. Good luck!

sammy01

27 September 2015
I don't think you need to worry - even as a student the NSW teachers federation will help. Give them a call. I found this fact sheet that suggests you've got nothing to worry about. The crimes need to be directly related to activities pertaining to violence / drugs / abuse.

https://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au...enttriggersschedule1_May2015.pdf.aspx?Embed=Y

Have a look at the link and call teachers federation to confirm, just so you don't have to worry.

In fact, I don't think the principal gets informed of any offences unless they are on the list in the document I provided... So I reckon, your future boss won't even find out, let alone have grounds to act upon the conviction.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
As far as I know a CIN doesn't result in the recording of a criminal conviction, provided that it was paid at the first instance and wasn't decided in court.

Reactions: DaleA76 and Tim W