QLD Will Shoplifting Case from Coles Affect My PR Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mandyccc

13 April 2017
Hi lawyer,

Yesterday morning I took my 2-year-old daughter and 10 days old daughter to Coles. At that time I took four boxes of breastfeeding bags (worth $ 100). When I put the object on the little girl's sleeping basket, my daughter cried, and I have breast feeding pain, so I was impatient. I hurried to go without payment. Once out of the door, there were employees to intercept me, and I deeply regretted that I did something wrong!

They called the police, and my English is not very good. I did not understand what were they saying, and I was afraid because I was with two daughters. I told them I was wrong, and hope they can give me a chance. I hoped they would not to call the police! Then I said I would pay, but they asked why I stole the products. I hurriedly told them that I wanted to save money.

Finally the police gave me a court vote (17 / May). They said it's the first offense and I will get a fine. that can be made to the court without leaving a public criminal record, but there will be an record of the police.

The problem is, we are prepared to apply for an Australian Citizenship. I am afraid it will have an impact on the family.

I would like to ask:

1. Should I plead guilty?
2. If you do not plead guilty, will there be a conflict?
3. Will the lawyer have any valuable help?

Hope to receive any answer, thank you!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Get a lawyer who apeaks your first language, and ask them.
And contact the court to ensure there is a proper legal interpreter available on the day.

mandyccc

13 April 2017
And contact the court to ensure there is a proper legal interpreter available on the day.
Tim,

Thanks for the reply! I will try to get a lawyer!

1. Do you thinks I have a chance to be not found guilty?
2. If I plead guilty, will it affect my application for a PR visa?

Thanks!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Tim,

Thanks for the reply! I will try to get a lawyer!

1. Do you thinks I have a chance to be not found guilty?
2. If I plead guilty, will it affect my application for a PR visa?

Thanks!
These are the questions to ask your lawyer.

Ava

4 August 2018
Hi Same this case i have but when i left colse in shopping center 2 staffs from coles came and told me you dont pay and i back items and run away they don’t followed me and i left shopping center , can i asking you they could found me ?? Im really panic and worry im really stupid