Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Will Restraint of Trade Apply Upon Termination of Contract?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Boomer, 15 October 2016.

1. Boomer

Boomer Member

I currently subcontract, set up as a business partnership, to person 'Y`who has a contract with business `X'. Business X has decided to terminate the contract with person Y and hire full time employees. They have since contacted me and offered to hire me as a full time employee.

My questions is, if my non-compete clause or restraint of trade would come into play? I am not starting a competing business nor am I working for a competing business. It is a sales job so there are no trade secrets or any special information. All customers are also supplied by business X. The sole role of person Y was to oversee sales performance and hire subcontractors to sell.

I have signed a non compete as a part of my employment contract with Person Y and it is very vauge in terms of limiting me working in any way, shape or form for any competing business with a 2 year exclusion from termination of contract.

But I am confused if it applies to this situation.

Please help.

2. Iamthelaw

Iamthelaw Well-Known Member

In short, no - Most restraint of trade clauses are held to be unenforceable.

If you should have any issues seek legal advice with the aim to obtain a declaration from the court that the restraint of trade in unreasonable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Boomer

Boomer Member

What's more, I have also received an email from the person I subcontract to saying that my original contract is superseded by a profit share contract we signed more recently. This contract has no restrictions noted whatsoever.

They have done this as my notice on the profit share is 1 month where as it is 2 weeks on the original contract. Does this help nullify the original non-compete as well?