QLD Will Partner's History of Drugs Affect Custody of Children Battle?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SanMigual

13 February 2017
I am separated and single for 8 years and as sole carer for only child. My ex-partner (father to my only child) is claiming to have heard rumors of my current partner's recent past of drug abuse/involvement.

I have never used/seen/touched or been around any form of drugs.

Q: If my partner has had previously used drugs and cleaned up 100% just prior to meeting and starting our relationship, will this affect my own custody of children battle?

Reactions: Timnuts

SanMigual

13 February 2017
He has only one mark on his record for drug possession prior to meeting/starting the relationship. It was a drug diversion and he was penalised with a 4 month probationary period. He also has on his record of turning himself in and volunteering information to assist authorities in furthering their investigations on crime suspects. He chose to report this himself.

S

Sophea

I doubt it. If its only a minor one off and he has cleaned up I doubt it will be given significant weight. Other issues will be considered by court.

Reactions: Timnuts and MartyK

MartyK

4 June 2016
I doubt it. If its only a minor one off and he has cleaned up I doubt it will be given significant weight. Other issues will be considered by court.

As Sophea said, historic events, such as you describe, will be unlikely to be given significant weight.

SanMigual

13 February 2017
Thank you for the replies.

The main cause for my concern is even though this is the recent past, my partner spends almost every day and most nights with my son and I. And I am worried that the family law court will see him as a danger.

He is a good father to his own grown children who don't live with him. But I have concerns because although it's the past I'm unsure how the family law court will take having him around my child. He has never relapsed or felt like going backwards for almost 2 years now.

I wouldn't be in a serious relationship with him otherwise. I have zero tolerance for drugs.