VIC Will Domestic Violence Charge Appear on National Police Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah jane

17 September 2016
Hi there,

I rang the police to report my husband for domestic violence towards myself and our daughter. I told them everything over the phone including pictures that I had of him marking our daughter when he smacked her but they were deleted.

Anyway, I wanted to leave him and get an immediate AVO as I was scared of him at the time. The police asked me for both our personal information so I gave it. They asked me to come in and give a signed statement or they would come to me and from there they would arrest my husband and charge him.

Anyway, he ended up leaving and I told them he has left for his home overseas and that myself and my daughter were no longer in danger, so I didn't give a signed statement. They rang me in the morning to check we were still ok, and I didn't hear anything further.

Anyway, my husband has returned to Aus and he works in aged care where a clean police record always must be. Question is, will anything show up on his national police check working with children/vulnerable check as allegations or enquiry, etc?

It's been 3 weeks and I know police use there discretion to drop charges, etc... How would he know if he has been charged as nothing further happened?

I am worried as this would mean he could never work in his field if he was found guilty. Please help me. I'm reading mixed reviews how does all this work?

Thanks