LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Will Domestic Violence Charge Appear on National Police Check?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Sarah jane, 18 September 2016.

1. Sarah jane

Sarah jane Member

Hi there,

I rang the police to report my husband for domestic violence towards myself and our daughter. I told them everything over the phone including pictures that I had of him marking our daughter when he smacked her but they were deleted.

Anyway, I wanted to leave him and get an immediate AVO as I was scared of him at the time. The police asked me for both our personal information so I gave it. They asked me to come in and give a signed statement or they would come to me and from there they would arrest my husband and charge him.

Anyway, he ended up leaving and I told them he has left for his home overseas and that myself and my daughter were no longer in danger, so I didn't give a signed statement. They rang me in the morning to check we were still ok, and I didn't hear anything further.

Anyway, my husband has returned to Aus and he works in aged care where a clean police record always must be. Question is, will anything show up on his national police check working with children/vulnerable check as allegations or enquiry, etc?

It's been 3 weeks and I know police use there discretion to drop charges, etc... How would he know if he has been charged as nothing further happened?

I am worried as this would mean he could never work in his field if he was found guilty. Please help me. I'm reading mixed reviews how does all this work?

Thanks

2. Ponala

Ponala Well-Known Member

If he hasn't been charged then there is nothing to appear on a Police check.

3. Sarah jane

Sarah jane Member

How would he know if he's been charged?

4. Ponala

Ponala Well-Known Member

He would have charges served on him.