NSW Will - Do I Have Any Rights to Ex-wife's Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

phonemechanic

6 December 2016
Hi, firstly, sorry for my English if I do spelling mistakes.

I came to Australia in 2008 via marriage. My wife and I stayed married until 2012 and we decide separate. A few months ago, she bought a house and we lived in the same address. Around 5 years after we separated, she passed away this April.

When I checked the property situation with my lawyer, he said this property was debt free and her kids took over (from first husband) and I just find out she had a will but don't know what she wanted.

I am just wondering, do I still have any rights to the house?

Please answer.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Did you get divorced and did you have a property settlement?

Who is executor of the will?

phonemechanic

6 December 2016
I haven't divorced. She sent me the papers, filled it up, then we went to the JP but after she passed away, I had a letter from the government saying the divorce had not gone through because of missing paperworks, etc.

The executor of her will is her daughter

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You should see a lawyer about your entitlements as you were still married and had not completed a property settlement. Best done sooner rather than later before the assets are disposed of by the executor.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Your solicitor put on a caveat? If so, good, and keep talking with your solicitor.