NT Will Bankruptcy in Canada Affect Partner in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wounded140

8 January 2017
Hi,

My partner is going through the divorce process in Canada. He and his ex-wife have a house with a line of credit attached to it...She refuses to sell.

Can he declare bankruptcy in Canada and will that effect his future in Australia?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
What do you mean by "future"?

Since bankruptcy is not a criminal offence it won’t affect his eligibility for most visa subclasses for general skilled, employer sponsored or family visas. However business visas may be more difficult if they must assess your previous business experience as part of the application process.

Usually, a foreign bankruptcy won't affect your credit rating in Australia.

Wounded140

8 January 2017
What do you mean by "future"?

Since bankruptcy is not a criminal offence it won’t affect his eligibility for most visa subclasses for general skilled, employer sponsored or family visas. However business visas may be more difficult if they must assess your previous business experience as part of the application process.

Usually, a foreign bankruptcy won't affect your credit rating in Australia.

Thank you for your reply

My partner is an Australian, he married in Canada, returning to Aus after long term marriage failed.

Main concern is credit rating in Aus and the ability to travel to and from Canada to visit his adult sons.

If he declares bankruptcy in canada, she will have no choice other than to sell...

Christopher74

19 September 2018
Thank you for your reply

My partner is an Australian, he married in Canada, returning to Aus after long term marriage failed.

Main concern is credit rating in Aus and the ability to travel to and from Canada to visit his adult sons.

If he declares bankruptcy in canada, she will have no choice other than to sell...

What was the result of his declaring bankruptcy in Canada then? Were they able to come after his assets in Australia?