QLD Will AVO Appear on Police Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Elsa Acreman

7 July 2016
Hi Guys

What exactly shows up on a police check?

I had an AVO out on me but not officially charged as I did exactly what was required, e.g. counselling, but I still have to appear.

I have the opportunity for this great job and am just concerned that one second of misjudgement will hold me back for years.

Thanks

Ponala

10 February 2015
Will I have a criminal record?

An AVO is not a criminal conviction. This means that if an AVO is made against you, it will not appear on your criminal record. It is often thought that this means that an AVO will not affect your employment prospects. This is not necessarily true.

Effects on Employment?
AVO's can affect employment prospects in at least two ways:

1. If you apply for a position in child related employment, a prospective employer must do a "working with children" check. This check will show up any final AVO which is made for the protection of a child. This means that if you are planning a career in any work that involves contact with children, an AVO can potentially limit your career prospects. IN some cases, even those who work with children in a voluntary capacity need to undergo a working with children check.
  2. A person who has an AVO against them, cannot have a firearms license while the AVO is in force and for 10 years after it is finishes. This means that if you have an AVO against you, your employment prospects in the security industry may be affected. Equally, if you work on a farm and need a firearm to carry out your work, an AVO will prevent you from carrying out that work.

Reactions: @thelawbundle
S

Sophea

Agreed, short answer: an avo is not a criminal conviction, it's a civil matter. However if you breach it - you may be guilty of a criminal offence.

31 December 2019
Will it show up as a record for a police check ? I have heard an AVO stays on the police database. When someone, eg a potential employer or immigration for a visa apply for a police check, does it show that you have or had an AVO ?