LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Will AVO Appear on Police Check?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Elsa Acreman, 7 July 2016.

Tags:
  1. Elsa Acreman

Elsa Acreman Member

Hi Guys

What exactly shows up on a police check?

I had an AVO out on me but not officially charged as I did exactly what was required, e.g. counselling, but I still have to appear.

I have the opportunity for this great job and am just concerned that one second of misjudgement will hold me back for years.

Thanks

2. Ponala

Ponala Well-Known Member

Will I have a criminal record?

An AVO is not a criminal conviction. This means that if an AVO is made against you, it will not appear on your criminal record. It is often thought that this means that an AVO will not affect your employment prospects. This is not necessarily true.

Effects on Employment?
    AVO's can affect employment prospects in at least two ways:

1. If you apply for a position in child related employment, a prospective employer must do a "working with children" check. This check will show up any final AVO which is made for the protection of a child. This means that if you are planning a career in any work that involves contact with children, an AVO can potentially limit your career prospects. IN some cases, even those who work with children in a voluntary capacity need to undergo a working with children check.
    2. A person who has an AVO against them, cannot have a firearms license while the AVO is in force and for 10 years after it is finishes. This means that if you have an AVO against you, your employment prospects in the security industry may be affected. Equally, if you work on a farm and need a firearm to carry out your work, an AVO will prevent you from carrying out that work.

@thelawbundle likes this.
  3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Agreed, short answer: an avo is not a criminal conviction, it's a civil matter. However if you breach it - you may be guilty of a criminal offence.