QLD Wilful Property damage ?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sonja

9 August 2017
Is it illegal ( if he follows through ) that my father has threatened to remove the flyscreen off the window of my bedroom on the second storey ( that i pay fortnightly board for ) and throw all my belongs out ( that i have bought or been gifted )
What if they're not damaged when they fall?

And why ? Because im not home enough. I am 22, female .. i work a lot and i stay with and visit a guy im seeing quite often. I barely eat/ shower or use my parents utilities. They also own the house we live in.

It may not be illegal but someone mentioned something about wilful damage.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, I mean, I guess you could file a complaint to the police, but I doubt the police would pursue it in Court, nor would it win you any daughter of the year awards. Also, they can basically evict you whenever they want, so are you sure you want to be seeking criminal charges against your father, who has graciously provided for you for four years beyond his legal obligation to do so?

You're 22. Apply some adult problem-solving skills to your dilemma. What's dad's concern? That you never communicate your plans, so he never knows if you'll be eating dinner with him, or if you've been assaulted in an alleyway somewhere because you didn't come home that night? Extend the man some common courtesy, if that's the case, and communicate with him, or else move out of home.

He is literally under no obligation to facilitate your residency there, so maybe some internal reflection will prove more effective than trying to get your own father charged with damage to property.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Oh, and for the record, it's his house, so no, he can't be charged with damaging property that he owns. Your board isn't a rental agreement, so you don't have any rights. He does.