QLD Who sits above (oversees) Legal Aid?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Migz

20 November 2016
I would like to know who sits above legal aid and/or oversees Legal Aid and it's funding off a case?

I would like to know why Legal Aid is providing Barristers for my ex at Application in case hearings, and Barristers for Contravention hearings (initial hearing is infront of a registrar… and she had another Barrister)...why are the tax payers of Australia funding this and also allowing the ex to keep me on 8 hrs a week in visitation.

Cheers
Migz

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Legal Aid run their own show. Within a funding framework, they get to call their own shots. It’s governed by a board. If you go to their website and look at the About Us, Our Organisation pages, you can get a detailed rundown.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In short - LAQ - an independent statutory body established by the Qld government, funded by the Government. The Qld A-G can give directions to the board.

If you intend to complain, then your local member and the Qld Attorney-General are the two most likely areas.

I don't know of any groups supporting change at LAQ.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Migz,
Mate I know you don't like my answer... But here it is anyways. I do think Legal aid is tightly regulated. My ex lost her funding because she didn't work and play well with others. Your ex appears to be playing along and following what is expected of them. Again, my undersanding is that they'll pull funding if they think the client is unreasonable.

I don't think legal aid is the cause of your stress here mate, they are the face of it that it is easy for you to see as the problem. The real problem is this crap and slow system. Whether legal aid or not you'd still be in the same crap situation and I feel sorry for ya... I really do man

Migz

20 November 2016
Rob, Rod, Sammy01, thank you all for your answers, and yes I will be taking this alot further, and now you guys have supplied me with a couple of avenues to chase up. In all seriousness if the Australian tax payer was aware of this waste of funding, ie via media or the like, their would be a huge amount of pressure placed on this Legal Aid service, to provide a "Please Explain".

Thanks again, a busy week ahead.