QLD Who owns the title to myself?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
Who owns the birth certificate as we only get a certified copy of the document? If for instance the A.E.C once you enrol will not allow de-registration I'm lead to believe that the "name" is not mine and I somehow assume liability for it?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You really need to stop with this.

- There is no 'title' to you.
- A certificate is a document that evidences something. A certificate of birth is evidence of birth. It is not evidence of ownership, or title. My certificate of marriage evidences the fact that I married my wife - not that I own her.
- The AEC will not allow de-registration because we have compulsory voting by law in Australia. That's a completely separate issue to what you're apparently raising here.
- You don't own your name, it's a label. Otherwise McDonalds would sue half of Scotland (that's a joke... probably).
- You don't have any liability for your name. You are liable for your actions. The attachment to the name is just so that you can be identified as the person responsible for the action.
- There's no conspiracy. There's nothing mystic about it all. A name is simply what people call you, and it's generally the first gift your parents give you. You can even change it within reason if you don't like it.

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
You really need to stop with this.

- There is no 'title' to you.
- A certificate is a document that evidences something. A certificate of birth is evidence of birth. It is not evidence of ownership, or title. My certificate of marriage evidences the fact that I married my wife - not that I own her.
- The AEC will not allow de-registration because we have compulsory voting by law in Australia. That's a completely separate issue to what you're apparently raising here.
- You don't own your name, it's a label. Otherwise McDonalds would sue half of Scotland (that's a joke... probably).
- You don't have any liability for your name. You are liable for your actions. The attachment to the name is just so that you can be identified as the person responsible for the action.
- There's no conspiracy. There's nothing mystic about it all. A name is simply what people call you, and it's generally the first gift your parents give you. You can even change it within reason if you don't like it.

Thank you for your reply.

I was under the impression this was a place questions could be posted without judgement.
I'm not here to instigate any sort of animosity.
I have not heard any responses to the contrary to the questions I have. Just a general, dismissive attitude without lawfully supported responses. This response, inclines me to derive that maybe sometimes I choose the incorrect venue to address my concerns.
It is however difficult to discuss any sort of issue regarding the law in any sort of neutral potentially bipartisan discussion.
I really need to stop with what exactly?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You need to stop reading dubious pseudo-law websites.

They are doing your head in and confusing you. Stick to mainstream websites.

Or go to your local library and borrow some books like Law For Dummies, 2nd Edition

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm not judging you, I'm making comments about what I perceive of your actions based on what you're saying. I can accept that that may appear to be the same thing to some people, but this is the space we live in when we deal with legal matters. It can be a very fine divide.

Also, I'm not showing any animosity towards you. I understand that can be hard to determine. In fact, I'm actually trying to help you. The path you appear to be trying to take will not help you. If you have any concerns that I am judging you, let me tell you that when you go into a court room you will be judged - that is what a court does. If you raise the sort of issues on which you're asking questions on this forum, things will not go well for you. The validity of any case you raise for yourself will be devalued.

Think of it in these terms: You are looking for a positive outcome to your issue in a court of law, which is a place which seeks to uphold and follow the rule of law. To do this you need to convince the court that your case is the correct one. That convincing is done to a person (whether a magistrate, a judge, a registrar, a member or sometimes a jury member), who is a person who likely takes their position very seriously. People are flawed, and they are proud, and they have their own inherent biases. These cannot be escaped so they are, to a reasonable degree, accepted and tolerated - because that is the best we can do in an imperfect system. If you go into that environment seeking to question and challenge the foundations of the system which you are hoping will grant you its favour, which is a system that the vast majority of our society ultimately accepts (which very acceptance underpins its validity), you begin to drastically reduce your chances of receiving that favourable outcome you seek.

If you don't want to believe what I'm saying, that's fine. You wouldn't be the first, and certainly won't be the last. Bear in mind that you're coming to a forum to ask legal professionals, legal students and legally interested persons to answer your questions. Any answers we provide are because we want to, not because we have to. I would say the majority of people providing answers on this site are busy people, who have a ton of other things to do, but give their time here because they have a passion for helping people. It's effectively a form of what lawyers call 'pro bono'. If you do want to challenge the system, this is not the right place to do it. The people you are seeking information from live, work and are interested in the very framework you apparently want to challenge. If you tried to do that in a different arena, I think you would get much worse responses than you are getting here.