Homework Question - Who Owns the Copyright of the Video?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Carlito

9 January 2016
Hi,

Let's say I recorded a video of a sporting event that was setup by the event manager. I uploaded the footage online and got lots of views and likes. My friend told me that I'm not suppose to upload the event without the event manager's permission.

Question is, who owns the copy ight of the video? Me or the event manager.

Thanks.

S

Sophea

Hi Carlito,

You own the copyright to the video as you are the one who created it. However, the issue here is consent of those persons who appear in the video and of the event organisers.

Reactions: Carlito

Carlito

9 January 2016
Hi Carlito,

You own the copyright to the video as you are the one who created it. However, the issue here is consent of those persons who appear in the video and of the event organisers.
Hi Sophea,
Thanks for your reply. So as long as I inform the people who were in the video about it and if they are ok with it, then it's ok.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not necessarily. Does the event manager have a condition that forbids video recording (like some concerts?)

S

Sophea

Another thought, when you filmed it, were you on public or private property?

S

Sophea

As in a hotel room? Or a pub? Do you own the hotel? Or did you rent the hotel room? Whether photography and filming is legal can also depend on where you were standing when it was taken. If you are standing on public property, then you can film what you want. Generally, if you are on private property that belongs to someone else, you would require their permission.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
This is an Intellectual Property issue, namely copyright.

It's wrong to draw a comparison to a live concert as copyright extends a different type of protection to a live performance of, for example, a band playing in a concert.

Copyright will subsist in your recording of the sporting event. ie, you own the copyright.