Which Jurisdiction to get psych records after a divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

miguel

30 May 2018
Hello all,

My ex and myself divorced early last year with property and parenting orders.

My youngest child has behavioral issues and has been seeing a psychologist just prior to the separation and after the separation. I attended a session (and paid) after the separation.

This week I requested all records from the psychologist but she responded saying no as the ex didn't consent to the release and I'm not the client parent.

It's probably true I'm not the majority client parent however I decided to seek this psychologists assistance and did attend once. Any advice if I am a client parent or not?

The response said I have the option to seek a subpoena. Given the court proceedings are over, which court do I apply to for a subpoena?

Regards
Mig.

miguel

30 May 2018
Hi Mig

If you do not have proceedings on foot, you will not be able to get a subpoena.

Also, it may pay to look at the final orders, there may be something in the orders that allow you to request the records.

Thanks for the response. The orders don't mention anything. Is i just a matter of not providing information per privacy principles, do I apply to the AAT?

Mig.