ACT Where to from the AAT?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ted Sherwood

24 December 2014
If the AAT has upheld the Department's decision to cancel a visa (held by a refugee), can this be appealed? I know that the Federal Court can't look again at the facts of the case, only the process.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I don't practise in immigration law, but have some general AAT experience. You can generally appeal to the Federal Court from the AAT on a question of law - but not on a question of fact.

In other words, and put over simply for example purposes, if the AAT determined that today is Wednesday and the law says you can't enter the country on a Wednesday:

- you could not appeal to the Federal Court to ask them to determine it was not Wednesday; but
- you could appeal to the Federal Court on the basis that the law does not prohibit entry on a Wednesday.

Ted Sherwood

24 December 2014
Thanks Rob. Yes, that was my 'only the process' in my question. I am keen to know whether that's the end of the matter as far as the substance of the decision goes, that is, no appeal, no higher body?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You can go higher, all the way to the High Court if there are sufficient grounds and it is a sufficiently important question of law.