NSW When must you use your indicators to avoid fines

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
As per title. But my main concern is whether or not you must indicate when turning on a dedicated turning lane which you cannot go straight.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
According to the NSW Road Rules (46 and 48), before a driver changes direction to the left or right they must give the corresponding 'signal' (by using the indicator) for long enough to give sufficient warning to other drivers and pedestrians. If moving from a stationary position at the side of the road, or in a median parking strip, it must be for at least 5 seconds. This is provided the vehicle is fitted with indicators.

A 'change of direction' (rule 45) is stated to be:
- turning
- changing marked lane
- diverging
- entering a marked lane or line of traffic
- moving from a stationary position
- turning into a marked lane or line of traffic from a median strip parking area
- at a T intersection, where leaving the curving continuing road to enter the other road (even though it proceeds straight ahead)

By those rules, I would say that yes you must indicate when turning.

Zerojay

12 March 2017
Agree with Rob. It may be obvious to you that you can only go in one direction, but it may not be obvious to all other road users and pedestrians.

I do not give legal advice, just my opinion based on working for an insurance company for over 20 years.