NSW When I change my name do I still have connection to my old name?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ered

30 June 2018
I read that when your change your name you get new certificates with your new name on it. Will I still have some connection to my old name? Will I be able to prove that I used to be called by my old name?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Yes you will still have a connection. A lot of organisations and government departments will specifically ask if you have been known by any other name - particularly when there are things like police checks involved. If you could just walk away from everything you've done, there would be a lot more name changing going on...

Clancy

6 April 2016
Yes you will still have a connection. A lot of organisations and government departments will specifically ask if you have been known by any other name - particularly when there are things like police checks involved. If you could just walk away from everything you've done, there would be a lot more name changing going on...

Yea, you would need to illegally create an entirely new identity to escape your old name. But that would be exceedingly hard to do.... otherwise there would be allot more people changing their identity!