QLD When Does a Spent Conviction Start?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mrbr0wnn

14 June 2017
Hi all,

When I was 18, I broke the law and was sentenced to good behaviour with a conviction recorded. At first I plead not guilty, however changed that to guilty in the supreme court under the guidance of my lawyer.

This has been a constant pain on my life. I didn't have the best upbringing and part of the reason I was charged was because of the family member I was living with at the time. Having said that, there are no excuses for breaking the law.

My question is, does a spent conviction come into effect 10 years after you were charged? Or 10 years after the conviction was recorded? I was charged in 2006, however the conviction was not until 2008. As you can see this makes quite a difference. I am tired of living in constant fear of possibly getting a criminal history check at my work. I have been offered a fairly decent job which I am hesitant to take in case I am required to complete a check.

This was the only time I broke the law and have not broken it since.

Appreciate your feedback.

Arche

20 March 2015
Was the conviction in Queensland? The Criminal Law (Rehabilitation of Offenders ) Act says 10 years from the date the conviction was recorded, ie not the date you were charged.
Is there any suggestion that a criminal check will be required for this new job - you would normally be told at the time of application. It's unlikely that once you are in a job you would suddenly be asked out of the blue to undergo a check. Just keep getting on with your life as best you can.

mrbr0wnn

14 June 2017
Was the conviction in Queensland? The Criminal Law (Rehabilitation of Offenders ) Act says 10 years from the date the conviction was recorded, ie not the date you were charged.
Is there any suggestion that a criminal check will be required for this new job - you would normally be told at the time of application. It's unlikely that once you are in a job you would suddenly be asked out of the blue to undergo a check. Just keep getting on with your life as best you can.
Hi Mary,

Thank-you for the reply, yes the conviction was in QLD. Thanks for the confirmation it is from conviction date rather than charge date. Thank-you for the kind words, I do try and get along with my life as much as I can, unfortunately the industry I work in deals a lot with Government entities. Just last year we had to renew our licence which meant a handful of our staff had to get selected randomly to do a fit and proper person test meaning a background check. Luckily I was not chosen.. I've also applied and been successful for positions and not know they do a background check until I have collected the contract & starting documents. To me its basically up to luck..

I was only 18 when I was charged and convicted at 20, My biggest life regret is not fighting the charge and going down with my family & housemate. At the time I had no idea how much it would affect my life, I could have avoided the charge by simply saying it was all my housemate/family member however I thought the best thing to do was to be charged together as I didn't want to upset my family. I now do not even speak to them because I have since realised they are nothing but trouble. Ironically my housemate who was charged has been on the dole and never travelled since, so he doesn't even need his name. :(

I've even thought of taking it back to court to see if I can get the charge dismissed/removed from my record however I think it is too late for that? I should never had plead guilty.

Thanks again and apologies for the novel book reply..