QLD When Can Police Notify You of Charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James Tyson

6 March 2016
I was in a police station making a report and when I was there, the officer said I have a flag for questioning against my name, so after I make a report, I am required for some questioning and if I don't do so voluntarily, I will be arrested.

After a 45-minute wait, they said they couldn't access a video regarding the issue and stated another station will be handling it and made it quite clear not to contact that station in the mean time. Were they not meant to notify me prior to police contacting me?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi James,

It's really impossible to know what the officer's were thinking or what had transpired in this particular situation. There is no principle of criminal law that I am aware of which would reveal the intention behind their behaviour.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Correct. Though if they arrest you they have to say why they are arresting you. If they ask you to go to a station, it often better to go there and be arrested versus them coming to your home or work to arrest you. Keep in mind that anything you say can be and will be used against you if they think it is useful. And even witnesses need to be careful if there is any suggestion you participated in any way with a criminal act they are investigating.