VIC Should Partner Contribute More Than Required Child Support?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Corinne

31 October 2015
Hi,

Just after a bit of help.

After my partner's crazy ex ran off to the city and tried and failed at starting a new life/family, she's come crawling back single with two kids to different fathers.

My partner has always been compliant and civil with regard to co-parenting their son, even though it's usually settled by what suits her. He pays the required amount of child support on time and we have his son every second weekend and half of all school holidays. We buy him clothes, toys, educational books, etc.

Now him and I aren't wealthy, we struggle to make ends meet ourselves. Just as we seem to get ahead, something comes up whether it be car rego, a sick pet, new tyeares, etc. In the two years we've been together, we've never been on a holiday or a trip just the two of us. Which is fine, we're happy.

A few weeks ago, my partner attends his school reunion in the town she's recently moved back to. He drives to and from (can't afford a night on the grog). And he runs into her at the pub and sees that she's drinking, which is fine, she's entitled to her social life and reconnecting with old friends and obviously has the funds to do so. But two weeks later, she's asking him for half of their son's school uniform costs!

Where do others stand on making contributions on top of child support?

She's paying babysitters to mind the kids while she goes out drinking, then can't afford a school uniform.... This doesn't sit well with me.

Any help would be appreciated. I've never been a single parent so I have no idea if I'm the one being unreasonable.

Cheers.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I was a fan of the honey pot - pay a bit more to keep things sweet. Got me no-where. So I stopped paying. Ex started sending me receipts - told me I had to pay half - nappies, groceries - even movie tickets.

My ex is nuttier than his. I told her to send them to the child support agency and if they think I have to pay, then they can garnish my wages... Believe it or not - she sent the receipts to child support - they sent them back.

Child support is the extent of his obligation. Don't suppose you've ever gone to Coles - Bought $50 worth of groceries but insisted on paying $60. Well if you're assessed to pay $XXX child support, then why pay $XXX+1, especially - when you're getting service with a sneer?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
His financial obligation extends only to what is stipulated on the child support assessment. That's it. If he wants to contribute above and beyond that, it's his choice to do so, but he most certainly doesn't have to, and nor should he feel bad if he doesn't do so. Child support is designed to cover those exact costs.

Corinne

31 October 2015
Cheers, that's what I thought.

She's a compulsive liar, is too lazy to work and was unfaithful to him during their relationship so doesn't deserve a cent extra. If we find their son is suffering as a result, we'll discuss it with a lawyer instead of throwing more money at it.