LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW What to Expect from DPP Meeting?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by JOH, 10 January 2017.

1. JOH

JOH Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am involved in a police investigation and my position is as a victim/ witness. Yesterday, the DPP contacted me and told me to come for a conference. I am just wondering what to expect at this meeting... Will it be a video conference? Will the police detectives be present? What exactly will happen?

Thanks,

2. Mary W

Mary W Well-Known Member

Hi Joh

It is hard to answer but generally they may want more detail about the evidence you can give, or to clarify some points, explain Court procedures etc before the case goes to Court. It's their job and their responsibility to know the case they are presenting and there is nothing unusual about a meeting like this.

I can't answer about who will be there or the video so I suggest you ring the DPP if you can and specifically ask them anything you want to know.

You said in your previous posts that you are a minor. The DPP has a witness assistance service which may be able to help you with information and support.

3. JOH

JOH Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,

Thanks so much for your response. Am I allowed to know what plea the defendant has entered? Also, in my previous post about the false information given, in your view is that something I should rectify at the meeting?

Again, thank you so much,

4. Iamthelaw

Iamthelaw Well-Known Member

If you've knowingly provided false information that could be a key indicator as to what they want to discuss with you at the meeting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JOH

JOH Well-Known Member

Hi,

Yeah could be but the information wasn't given in an 'official' statement as such but the circumstances were a bit different. Would you be able to read that post and tell me whether I should be worried and should rectify that particular statement? Thanks in advance!

Joh

6. Iamthelaw

Your situation (as a whole) is one that would benefit from proper legal advice in a more confidential setting.

I note that a lawyer got back to you in your previous thread with the offer of advice - Did you end up contacting him? If not, then I'd recommend you do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. JOH

JOH Well-Known Member

Yes, I was going to but he didn't get back to me with costs for consultation so I don't know whether I can make them myself...

Any help?

8. Iamthelaw

Many would provide a free initial consultation. I'd suggest contacting him or another practitioner.

9. JOH

JOH Well-Known Member

Ok, yeah sure. Thank you so much. I will do that.

Sorry, last question I promise! Is there a chance of me getting charged/prosecuted for this?

10. Iamthelaw

I'll say very basically, if one provides a false statement, yes. But then again I don't know the full details to your circumstances.