NSW What to Do When Charged with Assault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Star667

12 June 2016
Quick and easy story is, I was under a lot of stress with school, tafe and work related problems (no excuse I know), and it boiled over and I hit my now ex. Immediately after (same week), I went and got help from support groups and a psychologist and was clinically diagnosed with depression and anxiety (doc thinks it's been going on for at least 2 years before I got checked out) but they (my ex-partner's family) want to now press charges for assault.

What can I do under criminal law?

Star667

12 June 2016
Also the cause of depression and anxiety are a cause of supposed mental abuse by her (been in a relationship for 4 years)

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do nothing, say nothing, make no admissions to ex or ex's family. Potentially serious if police get involved. Remember phone calls can be taped, messages printed.

If police get involved, see a lawyer before talking with the police. If it was only one hit in retaliation for being pushed or hit yourself you have defence. If you bashed her/him then you need to be very careful of what you say and to whom, even your friends.

Important thing for you now is to get well.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
In short - sit down, shut up, and keep attending therapy.

See an actual psychiatrist (your GP can refer you).
You don't see psychologists for this stuff
for the same reasons you don't see a masseur for a broken leg.

And, if anyone wants an AVO, then let 'em get it.
It's not an offence to be on the receiving end of an AVO - it's only an offence if you breach it.