NSW What to Do if Friend Provides Third-party My Address?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Toqual

10 July 2014
Out of curiosity, if a friend was to give away my private details without my consent, what can be done?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) only applies to government agencies and the private sector (that is, businesses).
You can ask your friend to cease and desist from disclosing your personal information.
If the information was provided to a government agency or a business, you can advise that your personal information was provided without consent and that you request that it is not used and/or deleted in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DennisD

DennisD

11 July 2014
Hi Toqual

In your hypothetical it is not clear exactly what kind of personal information (eg, street address, email address, phone number, other) your friend is disclosing and to whom (eg, a third party business, individual, other). However, in general a person's express consent should be obtained by a third party seeking their personal details

If your friend provides your personal details (eg, email address, phone number) to a third party business which uses that information to send you unsolicited commercial messages (eg, ads in emails, texts), the business may well be in breach of consent requirements under applicable legislation. The Australian Communications and Media Authority oversees anti spam legislation and the Do Not Call Register. You could consider contacting their department which best fits your query: http://goo.gl/Rvx7HD

And of course you can let your friend know that you would prefer if they first ask for your permission in the future before handing out your details!

Hugh

Reactions: John R

Toqual

10 July 2014
Thanks @John R @Hugh - and it was my address given to another individual who I did not want knowing.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with the above.

Absent
  • any loss, damage linked to the release, or
  • a bona fide (apprehended) threat/ concern for your (or another's) safety, or
  • the passing of the information enabling a later unlawful act
    (such as enabling a breach of an AVO or similar)
my reply to
...what can be done?
would be "Not a lot."

Reactions: DennisD