WA What is the point of child.supprt

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pascal

12 June 2019
What is the point of child support when hardly any fathers pay any way and they don't investigate cash in hand or transferring money to other people.to his there honestly waste of.time?

sammy01

27 September 2015
With respect - I am a man. When I was not the primary carer of my kids I paid child support. I disagree that "hardly any fathers pay". The kids now live with me..... Their mother doesn't pay a cent in child support.

Sadly, the system can only do so much. Especially when the payer is self employed it is difficult to get a good result from CSA. But that isn't the fault of the system. It is the fault of a parent avoiding their responsibility.

In my experience, they do investigate the can order payments BUT enforcement is impossible when for example a parent would rather declare bankruptcy than pay

Pascal

12 June 2019
With respect - I am a man. When I was not the primary carer of my kids I paid child support. I disagree that "hardly any fathers pay". The kids now live with me..... Their mother doesn't pay a cent in child support.

Sadly, the system can only do so much. Especially when the payer is self employed it is difficult to get a good result from CSA. But that isn't the fault of the system. It is the fault of a parent avoiding their responsibility.

In my experience, they do investigate the can order payments BUT enforcement is impossible when for example a parent would rather declare bankruptcy than pay
Sammy
Your one of a kind and a good parent .
You are so right. I just mean they say it's illegal not to pay child support it's just a pity child support can't look further into this , i mean in a way if only they could look at joint accounts and hiding money because so many parents do it. It's so selfish and the child should be a parents first priority they shouldn't have to suffer .

LovingDad1973

9 July 2019

Agreed. CSA take a sizeable amount from my pay each month. Now I know that the mother doesn't use all that money on the children - my ex dresses them in second-hand clothes for example.

But I fully accept that I have a responsibility to my children. If my ex skims money off the top, screw her, I won't let it get me down. And I still buy my daughters clothes and stuff while they are with me as, well I can't think of a better use of my money than spending it on the two most important people in my life :)