NSW What is the best way to quickly learn what I can and cannot say publicly about my Uni?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Australian Student

3 February 2018
Long story, but I recently won a breach of privacy decision against my university in the NCAT Tribunal. I know that everything that came out in the court documents is public domain. There is a great deal more left to tell concerning the conduct of several personnel at the University. What is the best way to figure out what I can say and what I can't say publicly?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Best way: Ask a lawyer.
Other option: Heaps of reading. You'll need to understand privacy laws, defamation and injurious falsehood.

Australian Student

3 February 2018
Best way: Ask a lawyer.
Other option: Heaps of reading. You'll need to understand privacy laws, defamation and injurious falsehood.
Thanks for that. I don't mind reading -- what I am looking for is a text -- hopefully one good one -- that explains it. Recommendations of particular texts or informative online resources appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
'The new law of torts' by Danuta Mendelson is a good starting point. Else any textbook written after 2015 on torts. While the defamation law was rewritten in 2005, new texts have latest cases.

Use google for privacy laws in Australia. There are a number of laws but not sure how relevant they are in your situation.

The Joe Hockey case v Fairfax is a good read. Possibly check out the Rebel Wilson case as well, though I haven't read that one and I think it is going to appeal.