NSW What is a Reasonable Timeframe to Pay Personal Loan?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mashmish

12 July 2017
Hi all,

Rather new to this website, so apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I'm based in NZ -

Long story short, the Australian debt ($5k personal loan) is in my name. Don't trust your (now ex) girlfriend to settle the debt on breakup, even though it's hers! No amount has been paid on this in two years as a result of this.

What is a reasonable timeframe to propose for a payment arrangement? It's a rather small(ish) amount, so I do know they won't be spending large amounts of time/money recovering a debt from someone based overseas. The thing is, I don't want them to take me for a ride while I am in between jobs, knowing their interest is to recoup it asap. What is a reasonable proposal to keep them happy, while no compromising my short term cash flow?

Documentation (Notice of Assignment of Debt) has been emailed through to me on request, but I have asked a few days to verify with the bank, as I was of the understanding this was paid by my ex partner. I will attempt to get this cash from my ex-partner, but given the debt is 100% in my name I don't want the delay to have legal implications on me.

Any and all direction would be greatly appreciated. The lady on the other end is an absolute hothead and hung up on me.

Cheers