NSW What is a Reasonable Percentage of Property Settlement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DadonaMission

3 July 2015
Hi,

I'd like to know about typical and reasonable asset splits. I guess this involves future needs but does it also involve the percentage of care between the parties?

In my case, we have children aged 12, 5 and 3 who are living with their mother. She is a qualified teacher who's worked casually for a few years and now ongoing. I am a professional working full time with average income. We are both young and healthy.

We started with nothing but now have significant property assets and both have good amount of superannuation.

Although we disagree on my contact with the children which is currently supervised and she has falsely accused me of family violence I expect significant overnight time with the children.

We are about to enter the Conciliation conference. What is a reasonable percentage of property settlement we should agree on?

What percentages have others experienced?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Many people start at 50:50 and work from there to determine what's fair (including considering future needs and who will have primary care of the children).
The great thing about deciding between yourselves is that you have control and can agree rather than a court deciding for you.

You might find these articles helpful:

DadonaMission

3 July 2015
I wish we could decide between ourselves but it's not up to me as she's initiated the proceeding bypassing mediation etc. she's turned out to be very controlling and possessive of the children, very angry and bitter toward me.

Yesterday we had a children inclusive conference with family consultant as we're coming up to interim hearing. Now she's told the consultant she's seeking "sole legal responsibility". Yet the orders she's seeking from the court are shared responsibility.