WA what is a Financial order. Can I get some advice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Garyfc

15 June 2019
hi my wife and i seperated 12 years ago. she lives in the uk and i live in australia. we were both living in australia at the time and both signed a consent order through the family court in australia regarding property and monies. I recieved a petition for divorce from the uk and she has applied for a financial order for herself. what does this mean? Is she seeking claim on my assets or money?

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd be confident that the Australian consent orders are sufficent. UK law will recognise them.
I suspect all she is after is a formal divorce and the English system is gonna want to that finances have been sorted.

So what is in the financial order that she is seeking?

Garyfc

15 June 2019
I'd be confident that the Australian consent orders are sufficent. UK law will recognise them.
I suspect all she is after is a formal divorce and the English system is gonna want to that finances have been sorted.

So what is in the financial order that she is seeking?

Thanks for replying. It does not describe the nature of the financial order. The question on the divorce application is as follows

"If you agree with your spouse or civil partner on how your money and property will be split, and want it to be legally binding, you can apply for a financial order to be made by consent" she answered yes. I have not been contacted about reaching any agreement. I have not spoken to her since 2010 but included was a mailing address. should I contact her about this before I sign the papers? Sorry I have no idea about this stuff.

sammy01

27 September 2015
yes i'd contact her and ask what she understands that to mean...
Mate - you should not have much to worry about if she were to apply cor financial orders in the UK you should be very confident that the legally binding Australian document will save you...