QLD What information can victim release?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 February 2018
Hello everyone.
If someone is charged with stalking in QLD is the victim allowed to tell people about? For example, is it illegal to tell their employer they are going to court?
If they are later convicted of a crime, can this information also be released publicly? Is it only considered defamation if it is untrue?
If anyone can help, or point me in the direction about what information a victim has a right to release within the law that would be great.

Thank in advance.

sammy01

27 September 2015
There is no crime for telling the truth.
So IF for example you have been stalking me and I have an AVO against you and criminal charges pending for assault. I might want to tell my employer because I might have concerns that you might approach my workplace and I want my employer to be aware of the information... Nothing wrong with that.

11 February 2018
thanks very much for your reply.

There is no crime for telling the truth.
So IF for example you have been stalking me and I have an AVO against you and criminal charges pending for assault. I might want to tell my employer because I might have concerns that you might approach my workplace and I want my employer to be aware of the information... Nothing wrong with that.

I re-read my question and realised that I had worded it poorly. In the case someone has been charged (potentially going to be convicted) of stalking, can the victim inform the accused employer? Particularly if the organisation they are employed by has access to sensitive information?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Can they tell your employer? Yes. Should they? No.
What to do? You could talk to the police. They might make an avo application to the courts on your behalf...
Look. The thing is you are looking for advice based on a small portion of the story... hard to give advice...