VIC What Happens After WorkCover Payments Stop?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kyros88

8 June 2016
Hello to everybody

I am under workcover payments for 1 year and 4 months now. I have been injured working as a cleaner to my back. MRI shows that I have spinal canal stenosis. My symptoms are a severe pain in my left side back and leg especially when the weather is cold & wet. I am unable to do anything without pain.since my accident. I have seen physiotherapist & osteopath but nothing changed.

My last hope was a surgery but the orthopedic surgeon told me that if I do it, it will help with my leg pain but it can damage the back more.so I decided not to do it since it is the back I concern more because the back is that I have pain more. I am afraid that this problem is going to follow me for the rest of my life.

So far I have no problem with weekly payments as the insurance company doctors admit that I have a problem.

My question is, if someone knows of previous similar cases, what is going to happen next and how will end this story for me as the payments are going to stop in 14 months?

Sorry about my English. I lived most of my life in a non-English speaking country. I hope you understand my question.

Thank you all.

S

Sophea

Hi Kyearos 88,

are the weekly payments you are receiving from WorkCover? If you have suffered permanent impairment as a result of your work place accident, in addition to the weekly payments, WorkCover should offer you a lump sum payout. In addition if the accident was due to your employer being negligent, you may have grounds to sue your employer, however only if your injury was because of something your employer did that was careless or negligent.

To what extent are you prevented from working now? Do your doctors expect you will be able to work again?

kyros88

8 June 2016
Hello Sophea

Thanks for the reply. Workcover pays my weekly payments.

I believe the reason for my accident is that I had many duties which I had to deal with in very short time and my supervisor always complained to do faster. For example, I had to clean an 8 level building + ground floor all the toilets and bathrooms in 4 hours, [detail cleaning}. It was impossible.

At the moment, I can't work at all. As for what the doctors says about this, once my G.P said that usually these kinds of injuries, if they don't heal in the first four months then the injury is permanent.

That's why I'm worried and I wrote here to know what to expect next? What am I going to do if I can't work again?

Thank you