QLD Criminal Law - What Constitutes a Dangerous Drug?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lilybabe

14 April 2018
In order to be charged with possession of a dangerous drug, how is it proven that it is a dangerous drug under Criminal Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The law specifies which drugs are dangerous. Check out this link: Queensland

How reputable they are I have no idea. I do note they appear to know their facts.

The laws suck and all drug use should be decriminalised and budget money moved from enforcement to harm reduction and education.

Drug profits just make criminals rich and corrupt police.

Xena The Warrior Princess

3 June 2018
The law specifies which drugs are dangerous. Check out this link: Queensland

How reputable they are I have no idea. I do note they appear to know their facts.

The laws suck and all drug use should be decriminalised and budget money moved from enforcement to harm reduction and education.

Drug profits just make criminals rich and corrupt police.

Hi Rod

I just clicked on that Queensland link, and it seemed to me that anything above 500g of marijuana is certainly serving some jail time. Am I correct?

I know someone who had more than 1100 g when police arrived, due to DV phone call police found all this, as partner had enough and reported her. So the DV matter turns into reporting of the abusive partner into reporting of a drug use/cultivation.

What is going to happen to a person who was charged by police with this much drugs and who happened to grow it herself in her own backyard? She is from NZ, and not sure if she is going to be deported. Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
Schedule 11 of the Drugs Poisons and Controlled Substances Act defines illegal drugs and the offences... the schedule also defines the weights and the charges relating to Traffic, Possess etc. It then needs to proven that the person is in 'Possession' of that drug.

3 June 2018
Schedule 11 of the Drugs Poisons and Controlled Substances Act defines illegal drugs and the offences... the schedule also defines the weights and the charges relating to Traffic, Possess etc. It then needs to proven that the person is in 'Possession' of that drug.
Hi Cobra1972

Yes, she admitted that drugs were hers. What do you think the charges are going to be for her? I couldn't find Schedule 11 of the Drugs Poisons and Controlled Substances Act. Would you give me a link where to look for? taa

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
You would need to tell me the weight and type of drug. More info regarding circumstances would be useful also

3 June 2018
You would need to tell me the weight and type of drug. More info regarding circumstances would be useful also
Hi Cobra1972

As I said it was more than 1100 g of cannabis. She was also growing it. And I believe that police put all of it in their report. Not sure what will happen next. The police officer said: "she must've had lots of trees to get that much marijuana". I was looking into that Schedule 11 but comes up as an error, maybe you will be luckier find it. Taa

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
Sounds Like she will get substantive charges of Traffic a DoD, and possibly Cultivate a DoD. If there were plants? Scales deal bags an cash, would not help her case.

Certainly, a posses charge.

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
There are too many variables to know... It would depend on Priors.