QLD What are the Guidelines of Pursuit for Queensland Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Qldrider

5 June 2016
Hi Team,

I have a question about police pursuit. Can anyone point me to where I could find the Queensland police guidelines on police pursuit?

I have a speed related offence coming up in court soon and have a video of the police vehicle exceeding 182 km/s on the highway in pursuit of me. I will also say at this point that I wasn't speeding at the time of the alleged offence, but was cruising along the motorway, along with all the other traffic at the time. It was the cop doing 182 to catch up to me.

My question is, what are the guidelines if any for Queensland police pursuit? I seem to have in my mind that there are guidelines around the speed of pursuit and duration but I would like to get some clarity on this.

Can anyone help me find a resource on this under traffic law?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Read this.

It is unlikely to help you though if you have been charged with an offence. Your offending has nothing to do with how they catch you.

Courts have wide powers in accepting evidence that may be obtained by illegal means, not that a pursuit is necessarily illegal anyway. Our courts do not have the same restrictions on admission of evidence as you may be used to seeing on US TV shows.

Qldrider

5 June 2016
Thanks for your reply, Rod, but my question is, does anyone know how to find out what the guidelines/ procedures are that the cops are supposed to follow?

I understand it may not be of any use, but then again, it may. I just don't know, hence seeking the info.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is in the link I provided above. Click the link and it takes you to the public police guidelines.

It is Chapter 10 of their traffic manual - Driving of service vehicles.

Ponala

10 February 2015
It doesn't sound like a pursuit anyhow, sounds like he was trying to catch up to you. A pursuit is where you try to outrun the coppers and they keep following you with lights and sirens.

Qldrider

5 June 2016
It doesn't sound like a pursuit anyhow, sounds like he was trying to catch up to you. A pursuit is where you try to outrun the coppers and they keep following you with lights and sirens.
correct it wasn't a persuit, only an intercept. but it was an interesting read. If you like thgat kind of stuff LOL. Thanks for the link.