VIC what are the criteria to prove a permanent part time vs casual, please?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anna MG

4 April 2020
I have been working as a casual with no annual or personal leave since Nov'15. On a higher rate than part time. I do have set hours , set rate per hour. Also set duties and responsibilities each week same hours. First working 20 hours per week, then 22.5 hours ( set days- same each week) and recently 7.5 hours due to further study which was approved by work. Now due to the circumstances by position has been redundant. Am I eligible for Annual leave, notice and redundancy pay same as a personal employee would?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You likely received a higher pay being casual and accordingly were receiving the casual loading. The higher pay is because you don't get annual leave, personal leave and redundancy pay as a casual employee.

You may have a claim for leave, however the employer may be allowed to claim the extra loading paid as an offset amount. The anti-double dipping rule came in to effect late 2018.

Without seeing a contract or enterprise agreement it is hard to be certain.