NSW What are the charges for theft being over $4000

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Zara

14 March 2018
Hey there everyone, i currently have a friend who keeps on going into stores like myers, david jones and other clothing stores and steals clothes on a regular occasion. I've tried talking her out of it but she's not understanding that if she gets caught, she'll have a harder life. She started from stealing small things to this and im afraid she wont stop and will do far more worse in the future.Just the other day she stole clothes worth $1800 from a store and bragged about it. Its a weekly thing for her, to steal and sell them on facebook market place and gumtree.I've come to a point where im thinking of handing her in to the cops but im not sure what procedures there are in place and what she would be charged with. Could anyone help me out with what to do and how to go on about this? What would be the charges against her, the fines and all, and if theres any prison time as well. If people think i should sit back and not do anything, please do explain why. Thanks

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I think it is good you are trying to help, but she needs to help herself, if she does not, it is a matter of time. When she gets caught, it will depend on the value of items she took, if not material, she may get a fine and is not allowed in the shopping centre, but if the value is high, Police will be called in and then action is taken. From reading here, if it is first offense, most properly will be fines and a high possibility of criminal record, I don't think jail time is involved (unless she has prior convictions etc....),
I read few comments on shoplifting here, just search that and read them, let her read them and it may open her eyes.

Zara

14 March 2018
Thanks for the advice Adam, much appreciated. I'll open those treads and ask her to read it, might help her out