What are my options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cragzey1990

25 August 2018
Hi i recently sold a car on behalf of my sister and brother in law. the person buying the car didn't take it to be looked at by a mechanic or take it for a test drive. They just bought it by looking at it. As far as i was aware it was in good running condition. The people buying the car have now told me that there is multiple problems with the car.

The car is registered in my name as i was the previous owner before i sold it to my sister and brother in law and they didn't transfer it over.

What are my options?

Lart

2 January 2017
Private sales do not come with any automatic warranty, so it is up to the Buyer to inspect the car before purchase to confirm that there are no problems. The only reason that they can legally obtain a refund is if the Seller misled them or lied about the condition of the car.
If the car was registered in your name and you were the Seller, then I see no problem with that situation, as long as your sister and brother-in-law have no objection to the sale.
So your options are to do nothing, or give the Buyer a refund (but you legally do not have to).