VIC What are a book publisher's legal obligations in regards to fact-checking?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

donaldduck

1 April 2020
Hi,
I hope this is in the right section.

I'm currently studying for a Uni assignment and part of my presentation is about the legal obligations in regards to fact-checking of a book publisher. Penguin publishing was fined $30K in the Belle Gibson case by Consumer Affairs Victoria for engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct and making false and misleading representations - but I can't find any details of this law.
I have been Googling and I can't find any laws on what a publisher's obligations are - I was wondering if anybody here knows where to look or could help me out?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Consumer Affairs doesn't fine people. Courts fine people/companies.

If you look hard enough you will see Penguin agreed to an enforceable undertaking to pay a $30,000 donation to the Victorian Consumer Law Fund.

For law, you should be looking into the ACL - both Cth and Vic. You should not be overly concerned with the type of business, do not let 'publisher obligations' confuse or mislead you into thinking they have any more obligations than any other business. Does it matter if the material is in a book, on TV, an online website, spoken?

Reactions: donaldduck

donaldduck

1 April 2020
Hi Rod, thanks for your response - I think I got myself a bit confused by trying to specifically search for 'publisher' obligations.
I've had a look at ACL's website and think I've found what I was looking for. Thank you :)