QLD Were My Employee Rights Violated?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Forsenlol

15 January 2017
Hey!

So I worked for a franchise owned Domino's Pizza location in QLD for 3 weeks (casual position). When I started they offered me a workers union (SDA) but I didn't sign up for it because I've been with them previously and they are kind of useless, or so I thought....

Incident #1:

Anyways, I was a delivery driver and at the end of your shift you let a manager know that you're finish and they meant to count and sign you off on your "float" (a money pouch you carry around for change). So this was during my first week (I was still a noobie), so I let the owner know who at the time was cutting pizzas and organizing orders.

So anyways, I let him know that I'm off and he tells me to go. I see that he is busy and all so I wait a couple minutes to see if he has a second to sign my float off for me. After a few minutes he yells at me "What the f*** are you still standing here like an erect dick", And I tell him that I'm just waiting for him to sign my float off.

So he goes "Just chuck your s**t on the table and f*** off".

Instead of arguing I decide to just do as he said and I put the money on the table. Then he rushes next to the table and tells me to just write my name on a piece of paper and stick on top of the float.

Incident #1.2:

This didn't happen to me personally, but on the day I got fired/quit, a young staff member starts talking to another staff member about how bad of a situation his family is in right now and how depressed she is.

The boss overhears it and tells the girl to "Shut up, and get back to work because I don't want to listen to your home problems, that not what I'm paying you for". This didn't seem right to me seeming as having a conversation while working doesn't influence your ability to do your task at the same time....

Plus the boss was a total asshole to her which I'm not sure is legal, as I would consider it as Workplace Harassment/Abuse

Incident #2:

This was actually on the day I got fired/left. I worked from 3pm to 7pm, and around 6pm we get the usual rush of orders. Around this time his son (who also works there) calls my name. So I say, yo whats up? But he doesn't respond.

Literally seconds pass and his dad (the owner) gets back from the shops and he instantly tells him that apparently I have been ignoring his request for help and that I'm not doing what I'm told (I've been doing dishes at the back all along).

At this point, I f***ing had it with this s**t job and I go at him by saying that he called my name once, which I responded to but then he didn't tell me what he wanted. His dad doesn't say anything just gets back to work.

Anyways at the end of my shift I tell the boss that I'm off and what he wants me to do with the float. Then he asks me if I could stay. I start telling him that he rostered me from 3pm to 7pm and that I'm off (after 4 hours you meant to get a break and this guy is a [Removed by Moderator - Breach of Community Guidelines] and trying to suck free work out of you). But as I'm telling him that I meant to finish at 7pm, his idiotic son aggressively interrupts me saying that I don't want to work here, that I don't want to do what I'm told etc etc.... (All of it is bulls***).

To that the boss tells me that if I don't want to stay back he won't give me any shifts next week (He gave me 3x 2hour shifts and I live 30minutes away from the store so its not worth it for me). I tell him that its fine and that I don't even want those shifts anyway.

Then his son snaps and tells me to leave the store because I'm fired. I snap back at his son and the boss by saying quoting incident #1 how he told me to f*** off, how abuses workers rights, how bad he treats his staff etc but his son is yelling at me to leave the store.

So I leave. But on my way out I tell all the customers how badly they treat people here and how they violated employee's rights as a worker.

Another thing worth noting is according to the Fast Food Industry Award 2010 Act, Full-Time/Part-Time worker's minimum wage is $19.44, and Casual is $26.24 per hour. I was a Casual worker and yet I was only paid $19.44 per hour.

This was my 2nd job if that has anything to do with that. Anyways I found it odd and IMO its illegal to pay someone Full-Time/Part-Time wage as a Casual, seeming as how Casual workers have pretty much no benefits.

Were my employee rights violated? Does it count as workplace harassment/ abuse? And if so, where should I complain? Could I make a legal case and if so, how would I go on about it?

Would it cost a lot of money for me, how long would it take, how much money could I be awarded? Would I somehow have to prove that the boss yelled at me or would my word be enough? And please if you have any help or input on this matter, please have some say in it?

Thank you and god bless <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Were my rights violated, does it count as workplace harassment/abuse?

Yes to underpayment. Likely to be no abuse. 3 weeks is not very long.

Talk to the FW Ombudsman about underpayments. Having payslips will speed up the process.