QLD Weed Eradication Notice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Boogalooo

11 March 2018
We recently moved to Brisbane to a rural residential area onto acreage. The council a few weeks ago visited us about needing to poison pest vegetation, gave me a "weed management area" and some poison. When I hadn't got around to the poisoning within a fortnight (it rained the first week) they gave me a weed eradication notice that I have a month to comply with to "manage" the weeds around our creek. The weeds are 20 + year old trees and very well established, some with trunks so thick I couldn't reach around them with both arms, all through the creek in hard to reach spots. I've done my best to poison what I can including stem scraping larger trees. Not sure if it will work or not. Other than that I guess I will have to ring bark them, myself, by hand with an axe, erk. Will take me a good few days and it's hard to find time right now. Looking online my obligations under the biosecurity act are pretty vague. I'm all for eradicating weeds and fully intended to regenerate the creek area but it's a bit much at the moment with renovations and kids school (like, we need a new kitchen and bathroom and stuff before I planned on getting to the creek). Considering the weeds have been neglected by council and previous owners until they got to this size up until now, decades, and they are in plain sight of the street what's more so they can't pretend they didn't know about them, do they have any legal right to fine me for non-compliance within their time frame? Are their demands even kosher? I want to regenerate the creek, but it's going to be expensive in terms of my own, or, in the very likely event I can't meet the deadline, someone else's, labour. It just seems a bit unreasonable to me.

Boogalooo

11 March 2018
Oh hang on, I'm dumb. Just noticed the date is not next month, but May NEXT YEAR. Du-oh. Seems a lot more reasonable. :oops:

Clancy

6 April 2016
How long have you owned the property? Seems unfair if you are being forced to eradicate weeds someone else allowed to grow.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Seems unfair if you are being forced to eradicate weeds someone else allowed to grow.

No. Buyer beware.

Plus Australia has a large enough problem with weeds without being able to enforce measures designed to remove them. Not fair on neighbouring properties if an owner fails in their duty to control weeds allowing it to spread. Weeds are generally weeds due to their propensity for spreading.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes it is. We, as in many Australians already bemoan the fact we are a nanny state. People need to be responsible for their own decisions. If that means failing to complete due diligence on a purchase and are stuck with costs because they didn't foresee a problem that was growing 10 metres high then that is their problem. People want to skimp on paying someone for advice or doing due diligence then cry later they need to pay for remediating the problem.

The OP is not complaining about that here, just the timing which he later realised was OK.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Yes it is. We, as in many Australians already bemoan the fact we are a nanny state. People need to be responsible for their own decisions. If that means failing to complete due diligence on a purchase and are stuck with costs because they didn't foresee a problem that was growing 10 metres high then that is their problem. People want to skimp on paying someone for advice or doing due diligence then cry later they need to pay for remediating the problem.

The OP is not complaining about that here, just the timing which he later realised was OK.

Actually, all that is a good point, noted.