NSW Wedding Video Failure - Recourse Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Benny12

18 March 2017
Hello,

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to read this and help me out, as any information will be much appreciated.

So last year my wife and I got married and as a surprise I arranged for a videographer to film our wedding. She was very excited when I revealed to her that I had arranged to have our special day filmed.

I looked around the internet to find a good local videographer and found a local business that had some example videos on their website that were lovely, and I decided to go with them. They cost $2,000 dollars.

On the day, the videographer showed up 30 minutes later than we arranged, and seemed a bit strange with how he went about things, but he was the professional so I let him go about his business, assuming he was doing the job we paid him for to give us a video like the ones on their website.

After the wedding, we had to wait almost 6 months to get the video, which was very frustrating in itself. But given the quality of the videos on the website that this business had posted, I understood that good quality takes time, so my wife and I patiently waited.

The video has finally arrived and I am mortified at the lack of quality and lack of footage that we have received. The camera was shaking throughout the video, the lighting was terrible, the audio was muffled and skipped, scenes were very jumpy and glitchy, the camera quality was very poor... But worst of all, they completely left out the reception speeches, games that were played and comments from our guests wishing us well for the future.

The videos on their website included all of these features, and my wife and I are shattered that didn't get any of these and we have lost these memories for life. We went back and watched the video on the website again and were outraged to see the great quality and features that we didn't get.

My wife's Dad made the most beautiful speech and we were looking forward to hearing it again, and now we never will. Needless to say, my wife was deeply saddened by this.

So the help I am looking for; what do I do from here under Australian Consumer Law? I am so frustrated with the quality and the missing content from our video...

Again, I thank anybody who reads this and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Benny,

That's really terrible. The problem with the Australian Consumer Law protections is that they can easily protect and compensate you for financial loss but the emotional impact may never be recovered.

This blog post might give further information: Consumer Protection: What To Do If Your Australian Consumer Law Guarantees Are Breached - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

I would be surprised if you didn't get your money back and you should contact Fair trading NSW. As for the other nontangible losses I'm really not sure. You might be able to try a civil action but you would need to speak to a lawyer to see if this is something you might have a chance with.