QLD Wedding venue closed, promised deposit back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
9 February 2018
Last week, our wedding venue closed unexpectedly and we received an email from the owner stating that our deposit would be refunded in full by last Friday. Since then, I've tried to contact them with no response. Yet to see our money refunded. In the email we received Wednesday 30th it stated:

"Due to a situation that is out of pour control here, we will be closing the doors.There will be a full refund of any monies that you have paid. This will be returned by way of transfer by close of business on Friday."

That was supposed to be Friday of last week, that time has been and gone. I waited a few days to try to contact them to ask what was going on just in case it was the bank taking it's time. But I have not received any response from the owners at all. I'm just wondering what I should do to try to get my deposit back?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Send them an email:
1. Refer to their email of the 30th, and your last email;
2. State you have not received the refund promised, nor received confirmation it was sent; and
3. Polite state that you require the funds to be refunded, in full, within 7 days days.

If that doesn't work, you may need to consider action in QCAT against them.

Alternatively, if you paid the deposit by credit card you may have scope to get your bank to do a chargeback to reclaim the money.