TAS Wedding breach of privacy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bengali

5 February 2018
Hi, I got married and during the planning I of course trusted our celebrant with information. My husbands family hates me so they weren't invited (they have been quite violent) and contacted my celebrant to find out information and I found out the day after the wedding (it was an elopment) that the celebrant revealed information. I must stress that I made sure to tell the celebrant that my inlaws were being difficult and even harassing me so I didn't want any information revealed regards the wedding. This plea was of course ignored.
I don't really want to involve the celebrant but I need to know how to defend myself as the celebrant claimed she will seek legal advice.

I don't know exactly what to do and I'm quite lost. Would appreciate any insights on this, thank you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
This is not really a family law question... Probably more appropriate for consumer law?

sammy01

27 September 2015
probably... But what is it you want to know? the wedding has happened right? So what are you trying to achieve?

Bengali

5 February 2018
Wedding has happened but celebrant revealed information and I'm now being harrased by inlaws regards things I've told the celebrant in confidentially plus celebrant told me she will be seeking legal advice and won't say anything else. Inlaws told my husband the celebrant said the legal advice is against me.
I just want to know, can a celebrant reveal any information to inlaws that I've specifically asked her not to say?
And can she actually seek legal advice against me? In what grounds can I be charged regarding wedding planning and me advising my inlaws were erratic and didn't want information revealed?
Sorry I'm just scared as things are going pretty bad for me and I tried to research before posting this bit didn't find much.

Thank you