VIC Warrant, are they still valid after 26 years

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pearl18

30 January 2018
San Jose ,CA
Hello,
When I got divorce in 1992 in Melbourne, I was traveled with my 2 year old son to USA, before we left Australia, I did mail to my ex a certified letter stating I would like to take him to visit my family in USA, (that was the language in the divorce order that I only need to sent him a certified letter), after we left country, my ex went to court and obtained a warrant is placed on me or my son, if any of us set foot back in Australia's jurisdiction, we will be taking to family court, to make the story short, we left in 1992 and never been back, now after 26 years later, we plan to return to Australia to attend our oldest daughter's wedding, the question is, my 2 year son is now 28, we both became US Citizen and will travel with a US passport, and my name have change also, both first and surname, my question is, is the warrant still valid after 26 years.

Clancy

6 April 2016
How did you know a warrant was taken out on you? Was it just your ex telling you?
My guess is that if you have never been 'officially' informed of the warrant, then you have not broken any law.... but i do not know for certain?
However, you did breech your own certified letter terms and conditions by not returning - that may still have consequences?